CISC220 Sections 11, 80
Meeting Time and Place
Lecture: TR 11:00 - 12:15 in Gore 208
Lab (30L): F 12:20 - 1:10 in Spencer Lab 010
Lab (31L): F 1:25 - 2:15 in Spencer Lab 010
Lab (32L): F 2:30 - 3:20 in Spencer Lab 010
Section 80 (Honors)
Lecture: TR 9:30 - 10:45 in Gore 114
Lab (80L): F 3:35 - 4:25 in Spencer Lab 010
Office Hours: M 10-11:15, TR 8:30-9:15 in Smith 439
Bagel Office Hours: R 1:00-2:00 at Newark Deli & Bagels
Head TA: Maria Del Carmen Ruiz
Office Hours: T 12-2 in Smith 201
Honors (80) TA: Alyson Grassi
Office Hours: M 12-1, W 12-1 in Smith 201
Honors (80) TA: Kate Travers
Office Hours: MR 11-12 in Smith 201
- Textbook: We are using a custom electronic/interactive zyBook. Instructions for access:
- Sign up at zyBooks.com
- Enter zyBook code UDelCISC220Fall2015
- Laptop I would like students to bring a laptop regularly if possible, we will code in class. If not possible then email me and find a partner to "partner code" with. If some number of students bring a power strip then we can keep those batteries charged.
- GitHub Account Email me your github account name.
- Cloud9 Account Use your github account to register with Cloud9 IDE
- Work Ethic I am expecting 10-15 focused hours of your time every week to go towards this course. I wouldn't ask this of you without a promise of benefits (see "superpowers" below).
- (optional) Plug.dj account when we do a coding break you can help DJ the class at The class DJ site.
Superpowers that I wish to give you
- C++ on your resume.
- The ability to think intelligently about managing collections of dynamic data.
- Mastery of pointers.
- Basics of complexity theory.
- Practical knowledge of the following data structures:
(Many coding interview questions ask about these structures directly.)
- Linked List
- Priority Queue
- Hash Table
- Binary Tree
- The ability to model real world problems as well studied (but abstract) problems.
Opportunities to be evaluated:
- Two mid-term exams 15% each
- Final exam 20%
- Eleven lab assignments 1% each
- Three group projects 8% each
- Participation exercises from the book 7% (If you get 90% completion that is sufficient for all 7%)
- Four Homework Assignments 2% each
- 09/04 Lab 1
- 09/11 Lab 2
- 09/18 Lab 3
- 09/25 Project 1
- 10/01 HW 1 (Begin Phase 2)
- 10/02 Lab 4 practice exam at ds.prof.ninja/gigaton
- 10/06 Test 1 served at ds.prof.ninja/antlike
- 10/09 Lab 5
- 10/16 Lab 6
- 10/20 HW 2
- 10/23 Lab 7
- 10/30 Project 2
- 11/05 Begin Phase 2
- 11/06 Lab 8
- 11/10 Test 2
- 11/12 HW 3
- 11/13 Lab 9
- 11/20 Lab 10
- 12/04 Lab 11
- 12/10 CISC Showcase!
- 12/11 Project 3
- 12/11 HW 4
- Final exam: 12/15 8-10am Gore 208 (Laptops)
- Final exam: 12/19 8-10am Gore 114 (Laptops)